Refuse Collection Requirements:
Containers shall be constructed of heavy metal, heavy gauge plastic or durable plastic trash bags. The container and the contents shall not exceed 75 pounds. Trash cans must have handles and not be larger than 32 gallon capacity.
Location of Collection:
Garbage and refuse containers or bags shall be placed at the curb or alley by 6:30 am for collection. No garbage shall be placed out more than 24 hours prior to pick-up.
Discarded appliances, furniture, metal, water heaters, carpet, mattresses, tires, plumbing fixtures and other large items not suitable for regular trash containers will be picked up when placed at normal trash collection locations on your collection day. Items too large for the truck, such as swing sets, garage doors, etc. must be dismantled into small sections.
The following are items that will NOT be collected by the Sanitation Department
- Needles (sharps) not in a puncture proof container (Sharps Disposal)
- Concrete, rocks bricks, and dirt
- Construction and demolition materials including roofing, plaster, dry wall, lumber, etc.
- Trees, stumps, large bushes
- Hazardous materials and liquids including paint, pesticides, gasoline, herbicides, etc.
- Material transported into the City from outside the corporation limits.
Properly Separate Materials:
Keep Yard Waste and Recyclables separate from regular trash and refuse.
Check out "Trash Collection - What Goes Where" for more details about separating your materials.
Visit the Miami County Transfer Station website to learn how to dispose of all other items, including household hazardous waste.