The collection of garbage and refuse from houses, buildings, and premises for residential purposes shall be in the amount of $15.30 per month for cans or bags not to exceed 27 gallons, or any other containers approved by the Sanitation Department. There shall be an additional monthly charge of $3.13 for recycling costs incurred by the city.
No more than six bags or cans of leaves and grass will be collected per week without additional charges. All bags or cans of leaves or grass in excess of the six per week limit must be tagged with tags purchased at $1 each from the Utility Department as a separate item on each utility bill, and shall be assessed against the person, firm, or corporation listed on the utility bill.
No householder within the city limits shall be exempt from the provisions of this section without obtaining a special waiver pursuant to (B) below.
The term HOUSEHOLDER shall mean the head of a family or one maintaining his or her separate living room or quarters on the premises, and shall include owners, tenants, and occupants of all premises upon which garbage, rubbish, or both are created.
Special waivers of compliance with above may be granted at the utility collection office to the following. Special waivers may be subject to revocation without notice.
- Owners of buildings containing four or more apartment units, and who have in force a contract with a commercial hauler to collect garbage and refuse from the apartment units.
- Commercial or business accounts who have in force a contract with a commercial hauler to collect garbage and refuse from the commercial or business establishments.
- Householders who reside in the city and who are 60 years of age and older or disabled, who meet the requirements for the Senior Discount program and have completed the required paperwork.
- Owners of single-family residences which remain unoccupied during vacations for a minimum of two months subject to appropriate receipt of notice and approval by the utility office.
The collection of garbage and refuse from commercial establishments shall be on the basis of the amount of refuse and garbage collection as follows
- For each container or part thereof not exceeding 27 gallons or 75 pounds, whichever is greater, the charge shall be $3.74 per container, to be billed monthly at a minimum monthly charge of $17.23.
- A record of the number of containers shall be maintained by garbage and refuse collectors. Garbage and refuse must be placed in containers to comply with the specifications for garbage and refuse containers herein.
- Collection of fees shall be made by the Utilities Department as a separate item on each utility bill. The fees shall be assessed against the person or firm in whose name the utility bill is listed.
Rubbish and discarded appliances shall only be collected when placed at normal trash collection points at specific times during the year as designated by the Utilities Department. Discarded appliances, furniture, and other large items not suitable for regular trash collections will be collected on a call-in basis at times designated by the Sanitation Department.
Garbage and refuse may be collected at locations outside the city limits when feasible, at a rate of 150% of the normal rates, except that recycling costs shall be uniform inside and outside the city limits.
A delayed payment charge of 5% of each month’s fee shall be added to the month’s billing if not paid within the net payable date of the monthly statement.
Commercial haulers operating within the city limits shall purchase a permit from the Health Department at an annual fee of $10. All vehicles owned and operated by commercial haulers shall be made available to the Health Department for inspection at such times as the Department shall determine. No commercial hauler shall fail to comply with all applicable rules, regulations, or ordinances of the city.
For more information about Refuse Rates contact:
City of Piqua
Utility Business Office
201 W Water Street
Piqua OH 45356
Utility Business Office