The patch reflects the early settlement of the community and incorporates part of the City flag design, which was adopted at the conclusion of a community-wide campaign in the mid-1970s. The arrowhead shape of the patch and the smaller arrowhead and Indian brave located in the center of the patch represent early settlers in the area; the Miami Indians. The fort depicted in the center of the smaller arrowhead represents Fort Pickawillany; a fort/trading post operated cooperatively by the Miami Indians and early English settlers. The numbers “1823” represent the date that Piqua was first incorporated. The phrase “Otath-He-Waugh-Pe-Qua” stems from an Indian legend concerning the practice of ritually burning captured enemies during religious ceremonies. According to the legend, one such enemy warrior arose from his ashes. Onlookers cried out, “Otath-He-Waugh-Pe-Qua,” meaning, “He has risen from the ashes.” This is the reputed origin for the name given to the community.