MAIN STAGE PERFORMER
New Frontiers – Journey Tribute Band
New Frontiers: The Definitive Journey Tribute was formed in 2015 by guitarist Jimi Goare, with the idea that the MUSIC of this legendary band be paid its proper due. Instead of emulating other tributes that “look” like Journey, New Frontiers chooses to focus on recreating that classic Journey sound that everyone knows and loves.
From Neal Schon’s signature guitar tone to the lush harmonies that Journey is so famous for – lead vocalists Cliff Stanton and Jimi Goare are able to match the soaring voice of Steve Perry while engaging audiences with that familiar Perry banter. With a veteran line-up and Goare’s abilty to match Schon’s classic guitar solos note for note, the band is a formidable alternative to other Journey tribute bands around the nation.
New Frontiers performs the album versions of songs from Evolution (1977) to Trial By Fire (1996) including Steve Perry’s first solo album. The band is able to cover all vocal parts with ease, delivering a full-on, and accurate concert experience.
FORT PIQUA PLAZA PERFORMER
Piqua Civic Band
The Piqua Elks Civic Band was founded in October 1932 by the Piqua Elks Lodge, BPOE No. 523. The band was organized and conducted by Piqua High School band director Mr. Phil Gates. Mr. Gates would go on to conduct the band from 1932 to 1944. After Mr. Gates retirement, Mr. Lee Sedgwick led the band until the end of World War II. At that time, Mr. Robert M. Hance, a longtime cornetist and founding member of the band returned from the Army to take leadership of the group. He would continue to conduct the band for the next 54 years.
The Piqua Elks Civic Band was very active both in Piqua, Ohio and abroad. In 1935, they were named National Elks Band Champions. The band also traveled to numerous Elks Conventions including one in Chicago in 1956. In 1946, the band broadcast a concert on WHIO Radio out of Dayton, Ohio. Dr. Frank Simon, renowned band director and Sousa Band cornet soloist, conducted the band in a benefit concert on April 1, 1949.
Over the years, the band performed in many locations around the Piqua area including the Piqua High School Auditorium and Mays Opera House. The band would find a more permanent home in the Chautauqua Pavillion in Piqua’s Fountain Park. After the structure lost its roof in the Blizzard of 1978, the building was repaired and rededicated as Hance Pavilion.
The Piqua Civic Band (1965-Present)
In 1965, the Piqua Elks Civic Band was reorganized and became the Piqua Civic Band. Many members from the previous organization continued to play with the band and Mr. Hance remained the director. The band has continued to play concerts in Hance Pavilion on Thursday evenings in the summers and at Greene Street United Methodist Church at Christmas time.
Notable soloists with the band have included Mr. Vince DiMartino (trumpet), Mr. James Jeffryes (clarinet), Ms. Mary Woodbury (trumpet), Ms. Linda Landis (trombone), Mr. and Mrs. Joe and Linda Payne (tenor and soprano), Mrs. Mary Knapke (soprano), and Dr. David Sievers (tenor).
In 1999, Mr. Hance retired as director of the band and a series of guest conductors led the band until Mr. Brett Poling was named director in 2015.